I was lying in the recovery position at the gym recently (I was actually supposed to be doing sit ups after a really tough work out on the rowing machine!) and I noticed a wall unit containing all kinds of different weights. There was every size available. I’ve tried a few in my time and some are easy to lift and others more troublesome however the fact remains…..they are all weights.
Whilst we don’t all necessarily do weights I guess we all carry them….but that is not the way God created us to be…..His plan all along was that He took the weight…
There used to be a railway advert a few years ago and we were encouraged to ‘let the train take the strain!’ It’s my firm belief & experience that God actually wants to take the strain in our lives.
I wonder what you are carrying at present? Maybe you’re caught up in all the festive activities, stressed by pressures at home and at work, worried about finances, concerned about your family, fearful of what 2015 holds and on top of everything else……(you can fill in the rest!)
Jesus said these words:
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30 MSG)
Jesus knew and understood the stresses and strains of living in this crazy world. He gets it! He gets you!
Jesus understands that maybe:
- You’re fearful, worried and anxious
- You have this massive ‘to do list’ which never reduces!
- You’re a parent with young children and there simply aren’t enough hours in the day…(I’ve been there – thankfully it’s a season!)
- There isn’t enough money to make ends meet
- You have so much on your mind that you feel like our head is going to explode (been there often!)
- You worry & care about other people and the result is you take on their burdens too. (Remember: those people are God’s responsibility and not solely yours)
- You’ve taken on too much lately, done things that God never asked you to do and are living on empty as a result
- You’re feeling frustrated and even depressed because nothing seems to change or improve
- You’re working so hard to please others and be the person you think they want you to be and it’s not making any difference.
Some of us are carrying weights that God never asked us to. Maybe you are at that place right now.
When I get to that place when I’m just so stressed and so weary from carrying burdens and concerns that God never intended me to carry I do a very simple thing. I make some space (I go for a walk, find an easy chair, have a soak in the bath) and I talk to my loving Heavenly Father – the one who knows me better than I know myself. I purposely & intentionally unburden myself to Him.
You may say to me; ‘I’ve just got a lot on my mind and some of the things are not significant enough to talk to God about.’ You know -this is the God who even cares for the sparrow and is concerned about how many hairs are on your head. No matter the size of the weight – it’s still a weight…so how about allowing God to carry it: ‘Cast ALL your anxieties on to Him, for He cares for you.’ (1 Peter 5:7)
I make a conscious decision to make some space, unburden myself & quieten my racing heart in His presence, with the result being that I experience the incredible impact of this verse for myself:
‘Be still, and know that I am God.’ (Psalm 46:10)
I love the way The Message version puts this: ‘Step out of the traffic.’ You’ll be amazed at the difference. God lifts every burden and gives you an amazing sense of His peace and that He is with you.
Why don’t you try this right now….just step out of the traffic and be still, and know that He is God.